Tuesday 15 October 2013

Final Assignment

View from a Window.

The purpose of this assignment, I decided, was to do with what we had learned about perspective and light as the unit has concentrated on these through research and studies. Consequently I looked for a view through my windows that gave opportunity to show depth and linear perspective. Moreover, I considered that the contrast of light between outside and inside would be important and eventually chose the view from my bathroom window.

 
 
This view looks out over our extension roof and beyond to the field and trees. I attempted to create the correct perspective of the roof and faded out the colour as it got further away. The trees were done in brighter greens at the front and the conifer was done in blue greens. The field was faded out similarly to create depth. When doing this I wondered what to include around the view and looked at paintings on the internet. I noticed that some of these stopped at the window frame but thought that by including  walls around the frame would give an extra dimension of depth as well as more contrast between the light coming in and the darker walls inside. I knew too that I was worried how to shade the walls and the best way of doing it. I used watercolour pencils in order to be able to  create a wash but the final result is far too overworked and probably a lighter colour would have been better. Also I think the foreground is overworked as I laid down more and more colour in order to get more contrast of tone.
Finally I felt that there was a lack of a focal point and so went over the trees on the horizon in darker colour. In doing this I also felt that there was a better balance between both sides of the picture. Having executed some sketches for this when the sun was shining the day I had to concentrate on this was overcast thus changing the tones completely as there was no shadows around.
 
Whilst this composition is not very exciting I think I did somewhat succeed in achieving a sense of depth and a sense of light coming through the window. It's also the most complicated drawing I've done so far and so although not a great success in many ways I think I've learned a lot in this unit and have made progress.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment